PHYSICAL WORK EXPERIENCE
Name of exercise: Building of your own birdhouse
|Size of the group||2-6|
|Age of the members||+10|
|Equipment/ working environment||Saw, sawbuck, wood board, nail, hammer, waterproof marker, task card. Safe and stable working environment.|
|Aims||To build your own birdhouse, to get new working experiences, to learn to use new equipments, to get self-confidence|
|Remarks||Careful with saw|
Description of the exercise:
Clients plan their own birdhouse and then build it.
Instructions for the adviser:
- Put wood boards to ground. Nails, hammer and marker to a table.
- Put saw safely to sawbuck.
- Make sure that ground is safe.
- Give directions and equipment to clients.
- During the judgement of work results, advisor can bring out for example following matters:
- For smallest birds, like great tit, finch, pied flycatcher, measurements of the birdhouse: 10 x 30 cm
- For starling measurements of the birdhouse: 14 x 28 cm
- For goldeneye measurements of the birdhouse: 23 x 50 cm
Instructions for clients:
- Plan with care the size of board pieces, how many do you need in the same size.
- Saw right size pieces of board for the birdhouse of the certain size of the bird.
- If you can, drill yourself the hole to the bird, if it is too difficult, ask an adult to do that stage.
- Nail with hammer pieces together according to picture.
- Decorate birdhouse with your own taste with marker.
Link to worksheet (including solutions)