Name of exercise: Recognizing berries
Size of the group
Age of the members
A basket, paper, pens, task card, forests
To learn to recognize berries, to learn to walk in the nature, to experience the relaxing influence of the nature
Description of the exercise:
Customers try to find some berries and collect in the basket leaves, flowers or berries depending of the season. They take also pictures of the plants.
Instructions for the advisor:
- Give instructions, paper, pens and task card to the customer for performing the task.
- During the assessment of work results, advisor can bring out for example following matters:
- Cowberry’s leaves are leathery, on top it’s dark green and under the leave it is light green and dark speckled. The berry is red.
- Blueberry’s leaves are soft, light green. The berry is blue as the name is. Blueberry’s flower is light green or reddish.
- Wild strawberry grows 5-20cm long. The berries are small and red. The flower is white almost rounded, but not always.
- Raspberry can grow about 2 meters long. The stick is often spiny. The leaves are green and serrated. The berry’s color is dark red.
- Cloudberry grows on peatland meadows. The flower is white, an unripe berry is red, a ripe berry is light yellow
Instructions for clients:
- Try to find cowberry, blueberry, wild strawberry, raspberry and cloudberry and take in the basket leaves, flowers or berries depending of the season.
- Take pictures of the plants.
- If you don´t find some plant then draw its leaf and berry.